The following volunteer opportunities are currently available in the Town of Berlin. If interested, kindly fill out the attached Volunteer Application Form and submit it to email@example.com. Contact the Selectmen’s office at 978-838-2442 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Multiple Volunteer Opportunities Available
Looking to serve? Multiple opportunities exist for volunteers in Town government.
Below please find a list of Board of Selectmen-appointed positions that are vacant. Those interested should submit a completed Volunteer Application form to the Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com.
The Volunteer Application form is available by clicking here.
SELECTMEN APPOINTED BOARD/COMMITTEE VACANCIES as of 9/18/2017
- Historical Commission – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- ADA Study Committee – Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Personnel Committee – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18, 5/31/19 and 5/31/2020
- Cultural Council – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Access Committee -1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- Christmastime in Berlin – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18
- Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 2 Vacancies – no term exp. date
- Economic Development Committee (joint Selectmen/Planning Board appointment process) – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/2020
- Board of Appeals/Associate Member – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 11/30/17
The process for filling Selectmen-appointed committee/board vacancies is as follows:
- Applicants express their interest to the Selectmen’s Office using the Volunteer Application Form.
- Completed applications received by the BOS office are sent to the board/committee chair for feedback from the committee with a copy to the selectmen membership.
- The board/committee may wish to meet with a candidate for an interview and to provide answers to questions a candidate may have regarding the committee’s mission, meeting schedule, and work load.
- The board/committee communicates its feedback or recommendation to the Selectmen’s Office.
- The Selectmen vote on the appointment.
Thank you for considering service to the Town of Berlin!
Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 2 Vacancies
The Board of Selectmen seeks volunteers to fill vacancies on the 5-member Rail Trail Advisory Committee. A complete description of the committee (including its mission statement, issues for consideration, membership and operation guidelines) can be found here. Please complete a Volunteer Application Form and submit same to the Berlin Board of Selectmen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or via US Mail at Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Cable Access Committee
The Board of Selectmen seeks one (1) applicant for consideration to fill a vacancy on the Cable Access Committee. The Cable Access Committee operates mainly as an all-volunteer department of the town which oversees the PEG [Public, Education, Government] Channels. There are also part time staff members who serve the cable access committee’s mission. If you are interested, please complete a Volunteer Application form, available by clicking here, and submitting same to the Board of Selectmen’s Office at: email@example.com or by US Mail to: Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Economic Development Committee member – 1 VACANCY
Berlin is seeking one (1) volunteer to serve on the Economic Development Committee authorized by the 2016 Town Meeting. The committee has been charged with the following responsibilities:
- Promote Berlin’s businesses, locally and regionally.
- Assist businesses in understanding and complying with town regulations.
- Represent the business community at the town level and increase communications between town officials and businesses
- Create a forum for the sharing of ideas, resources, and the development of cooperative programs
- Create opportunities for mentoring and training youth, including linking schools and businesses
- Assist the Planning Board in implementing the Economic Development recommendations of the Master Plan
- Participate in regional meetings and forums related to economic development
- Identify programs by the Commonwealth that would be of benefit to the local business community or town government
The committee consists of five members who preferably possess, but not necessarily, financial, retail or commercial expertise. Members are jointly appointed by the Planning Board and the Board of Selectmen.
The committee will meet at least four times per year and report to the Planning Board at least two times per year.
Persons interested in volunteering for this committee should submit their name and address to the Planning Board either by mail or in person to 23 Linden Street or by e-mail to Planningboard@townof berlin.com.
Zoning Board of Appeals – Associate Member Vacancy
The Zoning Board of Appeals has a vacancy for an Associate Member (term to expire November 2017). Those interested should complete a Volunteer Application available by clicking here. Completed applications should be sent to the Berlin Board of Selectmen’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Mail to Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
ADA Study Commission
1 vacancy; appointed by the Selectmen.
The ADA Study Commission works with town officers and departments to identify community needs under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) law.
The ADA Study Commission’s mission is to offer all Town Citizens with permanent and temporary disabilities an Equal Opportunity in accessing Town government offices, public buildings, Programs, Goods & Services, Transportation, Telecommunications via the Internet, and Recreational opportunities.
In collaboration with Town Officials and the Berlin Community, the ADA Study Committee will:
- Educate town citizens and officials about the Town’s needs including but not limited to physical accessibility, electronic mail communications and community programs.
- Provide a referral database of area resources and services for Citizens in need.
- Advocate for safe community access for all Citizens.
Interested candidates should complete the Volunteer Application form and send it to the Board of Selectmen’s Office, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503 or via email at email@example.com.
The Board of Selectmen is seeking individuals interested in filling 3 vacancies on the Personnel Committee. Contact the Selectmen’s office at 978-838-2442 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Christmastime in Berlin Committee
The Board of Selectmen is seeking an individual interested in accepting appointment as a Member of the Christmastime in Berlin Committee . As of September 30, 2014, there is one vacancy. Please complete a Volunteer Application form (see top of this page) and submit it to the Selectmen’s office at email@example.com or mail to 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503. Call (978) 838-2442 with questions.
The mission of the Christmastime in Berlin Committee is to contact and coordinate individuals, groups, and businesses to gather the Berlin community and celebrate the holiday season. We’ll continue the long tradition of town wide business “open houses”, town center lights, music and meals. Changes and improvements will be considered to maximize the involvement/attendance of townspeople of all ages.
Cable Advisory Committee
As of September 2, 2014, the Cable Advisory Committee has two vacancies. Please complete a Volunteer Application form, available above, and submit it to the Selectmen’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
The Committee is very focused on considering how the needs of the Town and its residents have changed since the last contract went into effect in 2006, including alternative media delivered to homes through the internet (which is not covered by the cable franchise laws), and some recently approved higher density housing areas. We expect to conduct a survey of all residents in the coming months to gather that data, and will use it to inform our activities going forward.
Kevin T. Diggins, Chairman