The following volunteer opportunities are currently available in the Town of Berlin. If interested, kindly fill out the attached Volunteer Application Form and submit it to email@example.com. Contact the Selectmen’s office at 978-838-2442 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Multiple Volunteer Opportunities Available
Looking to serve? Multiple opportunities exist for volunteers in Town government.
Below please find a list of Board of Selectmen-appointed positions that are vacant. Those interested should submit a completed Volunteer Application form to the Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com.
The Volunteer Application form is available by clicking here.
SELECTMEN APPOINTED BOARD/COMMITTEE VACANCIES as of 7/18/2017
- Historical Commission – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- Conservation Commission – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/19
- ADA Study Committee – Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Energy Committee – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Personnel Committee – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18, 5/31/19 and 5/31/2020
- Cultural Council – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Access Committee -1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- Christmastime in Berlin – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18
- Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy – no term exp. date
- Economic Development Committee (joint Selectmen/Planning Board appointment process) – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/2020
- Capital Planning Committee (2 Selectmen appointments on 5 member committee) – 2 Vacancies – initial terms thru 6/30/18, thereafter in 2 year intervals/terms)
- Board of Appeals/Associate Member – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 11/30/17
The process for filling Selectmen-appointed committee/board vacancies is as follows:
- Applicants express their interest to the Selectmen’s Office using the Volunteer Application Form.
- Completed applications received by the BOS office are sent to the board/committee chair for an appointment recommendation from the full board/committee.
- The board/committee may wish to meet with a candidate for an interview and to provide answers to questions a candidate may have regarding the committee’s mission, meeting schedule, and work load.
- The board/committee communicates its recommendation to the Selectmen’s Office.
- The Selectmen vote on the appointment.
Thank you for considering service to the Town of Berlin!
Capital Planning Committee – 2 Vacancies
Please send completed applications to the Board of Selectmen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Mail to Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503. The deadline for applicants is Noon on Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
FILLED – 5 vacancies – Town Management Study Committee
The Berlin Board of Selectmen seek five (5) resident volunteers to serve on the newly-created Town Administration Study Committee. Voters approved Article 44 at the May 1, 2017 Annual Town Meeting which requested the selectmen create this committee as follows:
ARTICLE 44 – To see if the town will vote to authorize the Selectmen to appoint a Town Management Study Committee to address the issue of restructuring Berlin’s Town government to meet the needs of the future. This committee will pursue the model of governance featuring a Town Administrator while preserving Berlin’s Open Town Meeting forum.
The Study Committee will:
- Review the Town’s current organization and management structure at a high level of detail in an attempt to determine what works and what does not work. Carefully review all Town Bylaws and make recommendations for changes to content and format where appropriate.
- Examine all appointed and elected officials and committees to determine if the current method is effective and determine alternatives if necessary.
- Review all potential methods for managing a town of the size of Berlin with special emphasis on the use of a Town Administrator in conjunction with the Board of Selectmen and an Open Town Meeting.
- Present a full report including all recommendations to the Board of Selectmen by February 1, 2018.
Said committee shall consist of 5 qualified residents.
The deadline to apply for a vacant seat on the Town Management Study Committee is Noon on Monday, June 19, 2017. Those interested in serving should complete a Volunteer Application Form, available here, and email the completed form to: email@example.com. Applications may also be mailed to: Berlin Board of Selectmen, Berlin Town Offices Mail Box #6, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy
The Board of Selectmen seek one volunteer to fill a vacancy on the 5-member Rail Trail Advisory Committee. A complete description of the committee (including its mission statement, issues for consideration, membership and operation guidelines) can be found here. Please complete a Volunteer Application Form and submit same to the Berlin Board of Selectmen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or via US Mail at Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Cable Access Committee
The Board of Selectmen seeks one (1) applicant for consideration to fill a vacancy on the Cable Access Committee. The Cable Access Committee operates mainly as an all-volunteer department of the town which oversees the PEG [Public, Education, Government] Channels. There are also part time staff members who serve the cable access committee’s mission. If you are interested, please complete a Volunteer Application form, available by clicking here, and submitting same to the Board of Selectmen’s Office at: email@example.com or by US Mail to: Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Conservation Commission – 2 VACANCIES
The Berlin Conservation Commission is seeking two volunteer members. Details about the Conservation Commission at http://www.townofberlin.com/boards…/conservation-commission/.
Please complete and submit a completed Volunteer Application Form to the Board of Selectmen’s Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Selectmen’s Office, Town Offices, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Economic Development Committee member – 1 VACANCY
Berlin is seeking one (1) volunteer to serve on the Economic Development Committee authorized by the 2016 Town Meeting. The committee has been charged with the following responsibilities:
- Promote Berlin’s businesses, locally and regionally.
- Assist businesses in understanding and complying with town regulations.
- Represent the business community at the town level and increase communications between town officials and businesses
- Create a forum for the sharing of ideas, resources, and the development of cooperative programs
- Create opportunities for mentoring and training youth, including linking schools and businesses
- Assist the Planning Board in implementing the Economic Development recommendations of the Master Plan
- Participate in regional meetings and forums related to economic development
- Identify programs by the Commonwealth that would be of benefit to the local business community or town government
The committee consists of five members who preferably possess, but not necessarily, financial, retail or commercial expertise. Members are jointly appointed by the Planning Board and the Board of Selectmen.
The committee will meet at least four times per year and report to the Planning Board at least two times per year.
Persons interested in volunteering for this committee should submit their name and address to the Planning Board either by mail or in person to 23 Linden Street or by e-mail to Planningboard@townof berlin.com.
Zoning Board of Appeals – Associate Member Vacancy
The Zoning Board of Appeals has a vacancy for an Associate Member (term to expire November 2017). Those interested should complete a Volunteer Application available by clicking here. Completed applications should be sent to the Berlin Board of Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com or by US Mail to Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Planning Board Vacancy
The Planning Board and the Berlin Board of Selectmen jointly seek applicants to serve until the Annual Town Election on May 9, 2017 (at which time will be elected a candidate to serve the balance of the vacant term expiring May 31, 2019).
Applications are available by clicking here.
Completed applications are to be filed with Planning Board Chairman Ronald Vavruska by Monday, November 28, 2016 at 12 Noon by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Mail to Berlin Planning Board, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Council on Aging
The Council on Aging is seeking one volunteer to fill a vacancy. Said term to expire May 31, 2018.
The council’s mission is to enhance the quality of life of seniors in the community by providing services, which include nutrition, health screening, education and other program to meet their needs. The council also produces the popular bi-monthly publication Powderhouse Senior News, which is mailed to each senior household in Berlin with information on health, legislative issues, and other topics of interest to elders. The Council has also launched its COA bus service.
Please complete a Volunteer Application located here and submit same to the Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com. Applications may also be mailed to Selectmen’s Office, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503. Please call (978) 838-2442 with questions.