The following volunteer opportunities are currently available in the Town of Berlin. If interested, kindly fill out the attached Volunteer Application Form and submit it to email@example.com. Contact the Selectmen’s office at 978-838-2442 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Zoning Board of Appeals –Vacancies
The Zoning Board of Appeals has a vacancy for each a Regular and an Associate Member to the Board of Appeals (both terms to expire November 30, 2020). Those interested should complete a Volunteer Application available by clicking here. Completed applications should be sent to the Berlin Board of Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com or by US Mail to Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Annual Town Report Committee – seeking 2 volunteers
Looking to help document Berlin Town Government history? The Board of Selectmen seek 3 volunteers to serve upon the Annual Town Report Committee. Terms last for one year, expiring annually on May 31st. The Annual Town Report is a document which compiles yearly reports from the various Town departments, boards and committees. Please apply to the Board of Selectmen’s Office using the Volunteer Application Form.
Information Technology Committee – 4 Vacancies
On October 10, 2017, the Board of Selectmen created the Information Technology Committee. The mission of the Information Technology Committee is to advise the Board of Selectmen and the Town on all aspects of information technology including hardware, software, social media, and security, and to proactively lead the Town in developing and implementing an information technology strategy. The committee will remain a permanent standing committee of five members appointed at the discretion of the Board of Selectmen.
Please complete a Volunteer Application Form and submit same to the Berlin Board of Selectmen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or via US Mail at Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Multiple Volunteer Opportunities Available
Looking to serve? Multiple opportunities exist for volunteers in Town government.
Below please find a list of Board of Selectmen-appointed positions that are vacant. Those interested should submit a completed Volunteer Application form to the Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com.
The Volunteer Application form is available by clicking here.
SELECTMEN APPOINTED BOARD/COMMITTEE VACANCIES as of 9/18/2017
- Historical Commission – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- ADA Study Committee – Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Personnel Committee – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18, 5/31/19 and 5/31/2020
- Cultural Council – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Access Committee -1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- Christmastime in Berlin – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18
- Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 2 Vacancies – no term exp. date
- Economic Development Committee (joint Selectmen/Planning Board appointment process) – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/2020
- Board of Appeals/Associate Member – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 11/30/17
The process for filling Selectmen-appointed committee/board vacancies is as follows:
- Applicants express their interest to the Selectmen’s Office using the Volunteer Application Form.
- Completed applications received by the BOS office are sent to the board/committee chair for feedback from the committee with a copy to the selectmen membership.
- The board/committee may wish to meet with a candidate for an interview and to provide answers to questions a candidate may have regarding the committee’s mission, meeting schedule, and work load.
- The board/committee communicates its feedback or recommendation to the Selectmen’s Office.
- The Selectmen vote on the appointment.
Thank you for considering service to the Town of Berlin!
Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 2 Vacancies
The Board of Selectmen seeks volunteers to fill vacancies on the 5-member Rail Trail Advisory Committee. A complete description of the committee (including its mission statement, issues for consideration, membership and operation guidelines) can be found here. Please complete a Volunteer Application Form and submit same to the Berlin Board of Selectmen via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or via US Mail at Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Cable Access Committee
The Board of Selectmen seeks one (1) applicant for consideration to fill a vacancy on the Cable Access Committee. The Cable Access Committee operates mainly as an all-volunteer department of the town which oversees the PEG [Public, Education, Government] Channels. There are also part time staff members who serve the cable access committee’s mission. If you are interested, please complete a Volunteer Application form, available by clicking here, and submitting same to the Board of Selectmen’s Office at: email@example.com or by US Mail to: Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
Economic Development Committee member – 1 VACANCY
Berlin is seeking one (1) volunteer to serve on the Economic Development Committee authorized by the 2016 Town Meeting. The committee has been charged with the following responsibilities:
- Promote Berlin’s businesses, locally and regionally.
- Assist businesses in understanding and complying with town regulations.
- Represent the business community at the town level and increase communications between town officials and businesses
- Create a forum for the sharing of ideas, resources, and the development of cooperative programs
- Create opportunities for mentoring and training youth, including linking schools and businesses
- Assist the Planning Board in implementing the Economic Development recommendations of the Master Plan
- Participate in regional meetings and forums related to economic development
- Identify programs by the Commonwealth that would be of benefit to the local business community or town government
The committee consists of five members who preferably possess, but not necessarily, financial, retail or commercial expertise. Members are jointly appointed by the Planning Board and the Board of Selectmen.
The committee will meet at least four times per year and report to the Planning Board at least two times per year.
Persons interested in volunteering for this committee should submit their name and address to the Planning Board either by mail or in person to 23 Linden Street or by e-mail to Planningboard@townof berlin.com.
Zoning Board of Appeals – Associate Member Vacancy
The Zoning Board of Appeals has a vacancy for an Associate Member (term to expire November 2017). Those interested should complete a Volunteer Application available by clicking here. Completed applications should be sent to the Berlin Board of Selectmen’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by US Mail to Berlin Board of Selectmen, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503.
ADA Study Commission
1 vacancy; appointed by the Selectmen.
The ADA Study Commission works with town officers and departments to identify community needs under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) law.
The ADA Study Commission’s mission is to offer all Town Citizens with permanent and temporary disabilities an Equal Opportunity in accessing Town government offices, public buildings, Programs, Goods & Services, Transportation, Telecommunications via the Internet, and Recreational opportunities.
In collaboration with Town Officials and the Berlin Community, the ADA Study Committee will:
- Educate town citizens and officials about the Town’s needs including but not limited to physical accessibility, electronic mail communications and community programs.
- Provide a referral database of area resources and services for Citizens in need.
- Advocate for safe community access for all Citizens.
Interested candidates should complete the Volunteer Application form and send it to the Board of Selectmen’s Office, 23 Linden Street, Berlin, MA 01503 or via email at email@example.com.
The Board of Selectmen is seeking individuals interested in filling 3 vacancies on the Personnel Committee. Contact the Selectmen’s office at 978-838-2442 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.