The Bullard House
The Bullard House, located at 4 Woodward Avenue, was purchased in 1996 jointly by the Town and the Historical Commission, for use as a museum of local history and art, and as a temporary annex for the adjacent Town Hall. The Berlin Historical Commission has taken responsibility for repairs and renovations with most work thus far being done by volunteers from the Berlin Art and Historical Society. Major funding has also been provided by the Society from fundraising efforts and through donations solicited in the community.
History of the Bullard House
The “Bullard House” was built in at least seven parts over two centuries, beginning as early as 1750. About 1790, the center and southwest corner was added to outfit the building as a tavern and inn, for which it was used until 1813.
The first store, as noted in a deed dated 1799, was located in or near the northeast corner the house. John Dexter was identified as keeper of both the store and inn. The northeast end has, at various times, served as the post office, a barbershop, and the firehouse. There were other proprietors of the store on this site, the last of whom was Solomon Howe, starting in 1802. (He later built the present Carter Store building, originally located at the corner of Central and Pleasant Streets.)
The Bullard House is open for special occasions – Memorial Day and Christmas in Berlin.
The Hearse House
The Hearse House is shown being moved into the Old Burial Ground. It was built on the Common in 1805, moved to the Old Burial Ground in 1816. It was later moved to Woodward Avenue in 1926, and returned to the Old Burial Ground
June 9, 1973.
In 2013-2014 a major restoration of the Hearse House is in progress. We anticipate reassembly of the building on its site in the Burying Ground soon. Contributions to this effort are welcome. Please send to:
Berlin Art and Historical Society
P.O. Box 35
Berlin MA 01503