Berlin-Boylston Regional / Union #60 School Committee Update
Fire Department Fire Training Exercise
The Berlin Fire Department will hold a live fire training exercise on Saturday September 23rd, 2017, at the house of 160 Allen Rd, Berlin, MA from 8am to 4pm. Firefighters will participate in training by fighting fires in interior rooms. The DEP has inspected the home and cleared for said training.
Please be advised that during the evolutions the burning will produce smoke in the area. There may be flames coming from windows and roof line; this is expected. The training evolutions will be “only interior” operations.
We are recommending the following: All persons who have breathing or related health problems should stay inside with the windows closed or leave the area until the training concludes at 4:00 pm.
Hazard Mitigation Plan Public Survey
The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) through a grant from FEMA is working with the Town of Berlin to develop an updated Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan for the Town. FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) provides funds to states, territories, Indian tribal governments, communities, and regional entities to help communities implement hazard mitigation measures following a Presidential major disaster declaration. The plans and the projects that result from them reduce the overall risk to residents and property and reduce the costs of disaster recovery. (more…)
Public Hearing – Town of Berlin
In accordance with MGL Chapter 40, Section 56, the Board of Selectmen shall hold a public hearing on Monday, September 11, 2017, at 7:30PM in the Berlin Municipal Building, 23 Linden Street, Room 206, Berlin, MA. This hearing shall be held with the Board of Assessors for the purpose of discussing and determining the certified valuation of each class of property; the minimum residential factor; and the allocation of the tax burden among the four classes of real property: Residential, Open Space, Commercial and Industrial; and personal property.
Interested citizens may present oral or written views prior to or during the public hearing.
BOARD OF SELECTMEN
Pole Hearing – Whitney Road
The Board of Selectmen will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, September 5, 2017, at 8:15 p.m., at the Berlin Town Office Building, 23 Linden St., to act on the joint petition of Verizon New England and Massachusetts Electric Company (NGRID) to locate poles, wires, and fixtures, including the necessary anchors, guys and other such sustaining and protecting fixtures to be owned and used in common by the Petitioners, along and across the public way(s): Whitney Road, in accordance with Verizon New England plan number 4A0UT6B dated July 11, 2017.
The plan may be viewed by clicking here or at the Selectmen’s Office during regular business hours.
BOARD OF SELECTMEN
Berlin-Boylston School Community Survey
The Berlin-Boylston Regional / Union #60 School Committee is seeking input from staff and the community as it starts the process of selecting our next Superintendent. We invite you to complete a survey to provide your point of view as input to the process.
The results of this survey are being independently received and tabulated by the Massachusetts Association of School Committees on behalf of the School Committee.
The survey will close on Friday, September 8th.
To access the survey, please click on the following link:
Surplus Property Available
Having deemed the following listed property to be of no marketable resale value, but still hoping to avoid throwing the items out, the following audio/video equipment is available on a first come, first served basis from the Cable Access Committee television studios at the Town Office building. Arrange with station manager Brittany Blaney at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Cable Inventory List – click here
Multiple Volunteer Opportunities Available
Looking to serve? Multiple opportunities exist for volunteers in Town government.
Below please find a list of Board of Selectmen-appointed positions that are vacant. Those interested should submit a completed Volunteer Application form to the Selectmen’s Office at email@example.com.
The Volunteer Application form is available by clicking here.
SELECTMEN APPOINTED BOARD/COMMITTEE VACANCIES as of 9/18/2017
- Historical Commission – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- ADA Study Committee – Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Personnel Committee – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18, 5/31/19 and 5/31/2020
- Cultural Council – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Access Committee -1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/18
- Cable Advisory Committee – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/20
- Christmastime in Berlin – 3 Vacancies – terms run thru 5/31/18
- Rail Trail Advisory Committee – 2 Vacancies – no term exp. date
- Economic Development Committee (joint Selectmen/Planning Board appointment process) – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 5/31/2020
- Board of Appeals/Associate Member – 1 Vacancy – term runs thru 11/30/17
The process for filling Selectmen-appointed committee/board vacancies is as follows:
- Applicants express their interest to the Selectmen’s Office using the Volunteer Application Form.
- Completed applications received by the BOS office are sent to the board/committee chair for feedback from the committee with a copy to the selectmen membership.
- The board/committee may wish to meet with a candidate for an interview and to provide answers to questions a candidate may have regarding the committee’s mission, meeting schedule, and work load.
- The board/committee communicates its feedback or recommendation to the Selectmen’s Office.
- The Selectmen vote on the appointment.
Thank you for considering service to the Town of Berlin!
Request for Proposals – Bullard House Kitchen & Restroom Renovation Project
The Town of Berlin, MA is requesting proposals from licensed contractors with experience in renovations to and accessibility improvements for existing historical buildings in Massachusetts for renovations to the kitchen and restroom in Berlin’s Bullard House, a historic home under the care and custody of the Berlin Historical Commission.
Town of Berlin Community Choice Power Supply Program Consumer Notification
See this notification for more information.