Berlin Public Library currently has a library trustee position opening. Some information about library trustee duties are listed below. Nomination papers are available from the Town Clerk details provided below.
The next Library Trustee meeting will be on April 11th at 12:00 Noon. @ the Library. Interested parties may attend.
Successful boards clearly distinguish the roles of trustees from those of staff, friends, and volunteers.
Some responsibilities of trustees include:
- Advocating for adequate funding for services the community wants and needs
- Hiring, evaluating, and terminating a director
- Capital projects, such as facility construction and renovation
- Policy review and approval
- Budget review and approval
- Overseeing three-to-five-year community assessments and strategic planning projects
- Oversight, planning, and direct involvement in donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
Massachusetts Library Trustees Association (MLTA)
MLTA holds annual meetings in November. Please check back for updates. For questions about MLTA, please contact Teena Cherry, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- United for Libraries (formerly ALTAFF)
- 2012 Library Trustees Handbook (PDF)
Note: This 2012 transitional draft is based on the 2000 handbook. The handbook is currently being revised and the new version will be made available when completed.
- MBLC Trustees Resource Guide
Access to a variety of helpful resources, including handouts from the recent Trustee Focus: The Library Director event.
- Massachusetts Public Library Trustees Discussion List
An electronic information forum for Massachusetts trustees to share ideas, topics of interest, and best practices.
- Massachusetts Library Trustees Association (MLTA) Website
- Director Search Packet – PDF or MS Word
Includes guidance on the search process as well as sample job descriptions, job postings, and interview questions.